Dear all,

We have begun this week by a discussion about large classes. I've always thought that 40 students is a large class but this week I have read that there are some of my colleagues who teach up to 60 students in one class which is really hard and difficult. Dealing with a large class is very challenging in that it is difficult to make all students participate and be active learners.
The best way to achieve that is by applying group work. Among the benefits of group work are:

We have begun this week by a discussion about large classes. I've always thought that 40 students is a large class but this week I have read that there are some of my colleagues who teach up to 60 students in one class which is really hard and difficult. Dealing with a large class is very challenging in that it is difficult to make all students participate and be active learners.
The best way to achieve that is by applying group work. Among the benefits of group work are:
- Students have the opportunity to learn from each other and develop critical thinking.
- Students are involved in their own learning.
- And last, shy and quiet students have the opportunity to speak among their groups.
Role paly, Think-pair-share, and one-sentence summary are techniques that I usually use with my large classes.
Our task this week was to create an Interactive Power Point, it was a fun and an interesting experience indeed. I have prepared powerpoint presentations before but I have never heard of Interactive PowerPoint.
In my Interactive PowerPoint, I prepared a grammar lesson on the present continuous tense.
I think that the Interactive PowerPoint can be a highly effective tool to aid learning if it is well planned. it can improve audience focus, it can also increase interactivity and visual impact.
I'm planning to use my Interactive PowerPoint next week in my class.
Best wishes and have a nice week.
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
Hi Karima,
ReplyDeleteI think it is very unteresting that you suggest using group work for facilitating learning in large classes; I always had this feeling that may be using group works in large classes is very problematic, I wish you would share more of your experience with us, such as the size of the groups and also what types of activities you assign them to do.
I found your comments here very interesting and helpful.
Mitra
Iran
Hello Mitra,
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting on my post. As for your questions, I usually divide the class into groups of 4 to 5 students. An example of an activity I do with them is role play. For example, I ask students to write a conversation about ordering food in a restaurant, when they finish writing their conversations, they role play them, they choose a waiter and the rest of the group plays the role of customers.
Hope that I answered your questions. Good luck